SteinbeisART | Exhibition 2/2011
Prof. Alfred Lutz (1919-2013)
- 1919: Born in Villingen in the Black Forest
- 1936 - 1939: Degree in Commercial Art, Berlin
- 1939 - 1947: Military service/captivity in France, documentation drawings
- Release in Schwäbisch Gmünd; lived with parents
- Started a career as a self-employed commercial artist working for small and medium-sized businesses. Following successes in international competitions and publication in specialist design magazines (Gebrauchsgraphik magazine, Munich/GRAPH magazine, Zurich), freelance projects between 1950 and 1960 for BASF in Ludwigshafen, involving printed media and exhibition stands.
- 1970: Invitation to set up a department of graphical design and visual communication at the University for Design in Schwäbisch Gmünd; professorial chair
- Early 1980s: First meeting with Prof. Dr. Johann Löhn, former government commissioner for technology transfer and board chairman of the Steinbeis Foundation for Economic Development. A variety of fruitful and interesting partnerships followed, involving annual reports, exhibitions, books, and the development of the original Steinbeis logo.
- 1987 - 1992: Director of the Steinbeis Transfer Center for Media Design
- 1979 - 1984: Prorector of the University of Design, entered retirement in 1984. Freelance involvement in new and classic media: computer graphics, digital films, book publishing.
- X Triennale exhibition (Milan)
- ICT Gallery exhibition (New York)
- Art Directors Club exhibition (New York)
- Graphical design exhibition (Germany)
- 1950: 1st prize, German International Poster Award, poster on Intereuropean Collaboration
- 1978: Design Center Berlin, poster for Aalen Palaeontology Museum
- 1987: ICT Gallery, New York, magazine ad
- 1988: Art Directors Club New York, annual donation from the Steinbeis Foundation (New York, the Driving Force)
- 2004: Awarded the Münster Medal of Schwäbisch Gmünd by the Münster Construction Association
- 2009: Awarded the 1st Citizens Medal by the city of Schwäbisch Gmünd